Thursday, May 15, 2014

How to become successful and live for eternity



 


SECRETS OF SUCCESS: READ OUTLIERS BY MALCOLM GLADWELL

The secrets of success is unraveled and revealed by this handsome Canadian gentleman with the majestic hair, Malcolm Gladwell in his book, Outliers. This is a non-fiction psychology book that was published by, Little Brown and Company on November 18th, 2008. So far, the book has drawn me in by teaching me something I've always wanted to know, how can I stay free of diseases and stay healthy for eternity? Well, according to the research that was done, shown in the book, maintaining a healthy life is not just about exercising and eating your green veggies. Although these are important factors, a HUGE part of it comes from maintaining a healthy social life which include, greeting and interacting with people everyday. Ultimately saying that there are factors which build successful individuals. 

The length of the chapters in this book are reasonable. As I read, the chapters went by quickly as the chapters seem to be split into small multiple examples trying to explain his theory of success.

Part of the reason why I chose to read this book was because of what was written on the back cover:

"The Tipping Point, How little things can make a big difference"
"A Fascinating book that makes you see the world in a different way"
"A real pleasure..." ...
and 
"The power of thinking without thinking" (whatever that means)

He also talks about, 'The Matthew Effect'. He explains this as simplistic as he can. This is basically an effect or 'process' of choosing individuals who will more 'likely' become successful and the long lasting impact it causes on those who are not chosen. He explains how some sports authorities choose the individuals that are most likely to be successful by their birth dates. For example that most successful Canadian hockey players are born early in the year like, Jan, Feb, Mar, etc. Kids who are not born within these months are less likely to be selected and are unable to join the higher leagues. Causing them to receive less practice, games, and experience. "This locks children into patterns of achievement and underachievement, encouragement and discouragement." (Now, what we can take away from this is that, since Malcolm Gladwell was born on September 3rd, 1963, he was unlikely to make the annual pee wee hockey league. Just kidding) So again, successful individuals are not born with success but have factors which help them to achieve it.



1 comment:

  1. I did not choose my book considering the summary on the back or the quotes from book critics because I knew the book I choose. However, if I did not know my book I would use the same method to choose a book.

    ReplyDelete